The Future of Puppetry in Schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockymodo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:32 pm
PostPost subject: The Future of Puppetry in Schools

I'm interested to know what you think about this.. I want to conclude my dissertation with some thoughts about what the future holds for puppetry in schools. I've seen it working first hand, so I know it works, but a lot of teachers seem reluctant to take it up. Although there are some new changes afoot for 2008 when the government here are going to introduce more play based activities for the early years classes. So there may be more opportunities for people like me to go into schools.
rockymodo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:39 pm
PostPost subject: Puppets in Edu

I have to leave the house in about ten mins which doesn't really give us time to chat.. I wont be back home until after 10pm GMT. I will try to hook up with you and have a proper talk over the weekend..

If you would be interested in viewing my disserttion before I hand it in, then I would be happy to forward it for your comments.. Its only 6000 words. Not a huge thesis!!

Regards, Chris
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:47 pm
PostPost subject: The Future of (is?) Play

Great question.

There are two ways to go: further into the trap we are in, or out. I'm not sure why authorities are planning for more play, but they must have gotten the message from somewhere. Perhaps the OECD.org

The future of education is play. Play is a major focus of brain science. There is a lab dedicated to play and learning based in Denmark. And play is a major focus of the OECD brain and learning project. By themselves, this may not amount to very much, and things may get even worse before they get better. The real problem is time: if countries don't begin to collaborate on ways to deal with energy and climate, the push toward enlightened models and ideas in learning will be affected.

Teachers who enter the system with a 'tool of engagement' whether it's comedy, cooking, puppet play, movement, are equipped to activate the culture.

Those skills don't have to be tied to brain science, but the learning sciences recognize that before quality learning can take place, the emotions need to be engaged. That means animated communication, smiles, playfulness, safety, relatedness. Teachers who know how to prime the emotions know what they are doing.

More of this knowledge is beginning to make its way into the learning culture's collective conscience.

Note: Just read your recent comments and will try to connect over the weekend. I would be delighted to read your thesis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Town Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: