I'm here!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgross

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:44 pm
PostPost subject: I'm here!

Hi!

Sorry I'm so late taking the Beginner's Luck Workshop. I've spent my time reading all of the materials of the Puppetools site as I am doing some research in several areas (including puppets) and tying everything together. Now I'm excited about 'getting interactive'.

Toni
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:54 pm
PostPost subject: Welcome

Toni,

Welcome. I will contact you as planned. Meanwhile take your time exploring!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
suziwollman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:24 am
PostPost subject:

Hello, all! Christmas is finally over (we celebrate two here in Ukraine, a week before and a week after New Years), and now I'm ready to get back to work. I've written a curriculum for teaching character to primary grade children, and have decided to employ puppets for the analysis part of the lessons. What better way to see what the kids learned than by getting them to talk to a puppet!
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:02 pm
PostPost subject: Greetings

Suzi and Toni,

Thanks for coming in and getting back respectively. I think you two should connect. An adminstrative action: I will be moving your recent posts ("I'm here") up to the Online Workshop Welcome where the Workshop Segments actually begin. Let's get started!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tgross

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:11 pm
PostPost subject: Finding My Way

Hi,

Having done all the reading (and beginning to reread) all that Puppetools offers, I am about to embark on creating my first Puppetools inspired puppet. However, I just wanted to say that I have come to truly LOVE the nonlinear (as this medium is meant to be) nature of the forums. I'm enjoying the discoveryof past and present posts to the forums. Community!

Toni
tgross

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:37 pm
PostPost subject: A New Puppet is Born!

Yea! I have just created my first "Puppetools" puppet. 'She' was introduced to my preschool students (developmentally, communicatively delayed bilingual preschoolers) last Wednesday and she was welcomed enthusiastically. I noticed some unusual responses, but soon realized that they ware the same responses I see when an unfamiliar 'human' enters the preschool classroom. This was intriguing. I was especially taken with one child's response...He was quite 'coy' as if he had just met a pretty girl and he was definitely 'smitten'. I am developing my puppet's character and wanted to make note of the children's reaction to her manner of speaking and her 'body' language to adapt them accordingly. What a process! By the way, the puppet is a "mouth"! As she is intended to assist me in lessons in speech, particularly in enhancing oral motor awareness and control for improved speech, I needed to develop certain physical and personality characteristics that would serve. I actually already had a mouth puppet, professionally manufactured, but my papertalker is more correct, both anatomically and sentimentally...and theoretically (at least as far as my preschoolers are concerned) and I am excited that she has come along to help the children. I think I may videotape them on our second meeting with our new puppet. I'd like to record it for posterity and to get a better idea of the progression of the endeavor. I am so excited! One thing was immediately clear...once I introduced the puppet, I was no longer 'in the equation'. She was the connection with the children, and this was the focus that I was hoping for. I can't wait to see how this develops.

Toni
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:17 pm
PostPost subject:

What absolutely cool communication!

I am delighted that the mouth has received such a warm reception. With young ones, the expected character would be an animal or something like that, but your mouth is paradoxically very much to the point and yet abstract in a Pee Wee Herman-esque sort of way--anyway very much in step with the way kids perceive the world.

What is especially interesting here, I think, is that the puppet helps to focus attention on the instrument--their mouths--that kids use to speak.

The puppet also helps children to objectify and differentiate whatever they do with their mouth in the course of conversation, not to mention the puppet's ability to motivate.

Please continue to monitor and observe the process (the video would be great but will require releases from parents).

Congratulations on creating a 'first puppet' that works on so many interesting levels!
Suzanne Hale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:43 pm
PostPost subject: Hello from Canada

Very excited to have found this forum, place of existance! I can't wait to get started making some hinge puppets.

I work with adults - who are home child care providers, that is they run their own daycares from their homes. So I don't work directly with children...but this site is giving me lots and lots of encouragement to develop a show or so...and perform for children and adults.

thank you so much for the chance to connect with others.

And oh yes, we are organizing a festival of hand-made puppets for caregivers and children...here in Ottawa, on Nov. 14th. The inclusion of hingepuppets and puppetools will be a real bonus!

Thanks Again.
Suzanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: