dissertation help please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
english_rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:21 am
PostPost subject: dissertation help please!

Hi my name is Marie and I am new to this website. I'm currently in my final year of teacher training and am hoping to write my dissertation on the benefits of using puppets to enhance teaching. So far I'm thinking of linking puppet use to literacy but any suggestions would be a life saver!
I've found a few relevent articles but would be so greatful if someone could point me in the right direction?
I am very passionate about using puppets in my lessons and would love for my research to support my beliefs and spark other practitioners to try them too!

Thanks

Marie Very Happy
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:19 pm
PostPost subject: Your Dissertation

Marie,

I take student teacher inquiries very seriously and would like to help in any way I can.

In the site Library you will find two white papers addressed to student teachers. Also in the Library, the teacher journals will provide a sustained body of teacher observations and commentary on the benefits and surprises of puppet play-based instruction. In the Library and on the home page you will find papers that explore the nature of puppet media ("Puppet Anatomy" home page) and a paper that explores the difference between "puppets and computers." There is a very interesting piece on "Puppets in College, as well.

In the "Research" area (left navigation on the home page) you will find a study conducted by Amy Wallace (a member). To date, this is the most solid research I have in hand.

The fact is what is out there is very sparse: you will be more apt to find puppetry-focused research in therapy for hospitals, speech and language, and perhaps counseling. There is also the progrmmatic uses more along the lines of edutainment. At the opposite end of the spectrum, you'll find my brain-imaging research that takes a look at brain function and physiology while 'at play.' Also in the 'Research' section you'll find what is the first study of its kind focused on the brain at play, published in the Journal of Child Neurology.

When you talk about puppets, the larger question of play and media have seldom entered the conversation. Until now, play is accepted ss a valid modality for learning only in early childhood. The Puppetools project has pushed play into the elementary classroom, the middle school classroom, the high school classroom, and into the college (foreign language) classroom. In terms of research, there isn't much out there, and that is why Puppetools is here at all. We are the edge of the education universe. You can argue that this project, which is global in its scope, and which has presented its findings at the Europe-based OECD Brain and Emotions symposia, constitutes the emerging research on the subjects of puppets and play. The fact that one of its final reports lists play as an important ingredient in brain-based learning (p 20) and puppetry, specfically p 19, p7 -2 references) speaks highly for this medium by brain scientists, if not educators.

In terms of hard numbers, Amy Wallace's research may be the first of its kind to quantify the impact of puppet meda in classrooms. The reason it's sparse: the learning culture is biased against play--is play deprived.

The National Institute for Play has done extensive research that connects violence with play-deprivation. This has iimplications for creating a classrooms that promote mental health while attending to the academic agenda.

Marie, I do hope this helps. Also, when you finish your dissertation, I do hope you'll continue to work with us. We need pioneers who are passionate about play and who want to help us establish its validity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
english_rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:29 pm
PostPost subject:

Thank you so much for your reply!
I have been feeling rather overwelmed after spending several days sat infront of my pc searching for past research, but finding this site has really helped.
So far I have a few ideas for my study: the use of puppets to retell a narrative; puppets as a tool for engagement during carpet time; puppets to enhance language for writing; or a focus more on emotional intelligence.
I will speak with my tutor and follow up the links you have given me. It is great that there are other people out there who recognise the value of puppets in education!

Marie Very Happy
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:25 pm
PostPost subject: Narrative

Currently, there is one full length video on the home page demonstrating narrative: watching how the teacher uses the puppet and book should provide an opportunity for deep analysis. (There will be more)

As you enter the Workshop section of the site, click on LEARN (left navigation) and go into Communication where you'll find other videos or slide shows. Please keep us updated in the forum on your research. I will alert the community to be on the lookout for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
english_rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:26 pm
PostPost subject: dissertation

Thanks Jeff, I'm so excited. This is my first
dissertation and I cannot wait to get my teeth into
it! I will keep you all updated and no doubt bore you
to death with my progress!!
Marie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: