Aggression Towards Puppets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:09 pm
PostPost subject: Aggression Towards Puppets

Has anyone ever had problems using a puppet with some children (mainly boys) who want to grab the nose or hit it? This has happened a number of times when I've addressed a child or the class using a girl or boy puppet. I've been reluctant to use people puppets and have stuck to animal ones.
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:34 pm
PostPost subject: Aggression

Great question. Steve G.'s recent posts bring up this question. After reading, please comment on whether and how the discussion may be helpful to you. As discussed in these posts, puppets will bring out feelings and behaviors that lie beneath the surface, and it is important to keep in mind that all things under pressure tend to bubble up, overflow, or, if ignored over a long period of time, explode.

As is also born out in the writing, it is good to have a strategy in mind, a ploy in case inappropriate behavior presents itself, to quickly address the behavior. Having the puppet hide, exit, or leave the situation temporarily is a good way to stop the show and get the attention of the group. As per Steve's course of action, the puppet can take such behavior personally, and express fear, pain, hurt feelings, and anger, and then depart from the situation. Doing this serves to put the aggressor on notice that his behavior is real and has consequences. It also makes the aggressor unpopular with his peers who are denied the enjoyment of play and the novelty of a classroom friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drrose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:52 pm
PostPost subject:

I tell my students that the puppet is REAL! If they hit, hurt, or attack anyone's puppet it is like attacking that person. The same rule of MUTUAL RESPECT that I expect is in play with puppets. The founders of the US Constitution also began with property. Property, the puppet, is protected by the Constitution and should be treated with same respect. So, either as a person or as property, puppets cannot be abused!.
Dr.Rose
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:16 am
PostPost subject: More on Aggression

Of course no one wants to see a child destroy anything, but if in the course of play and interaction, deeper emotions emerge and result in the trashing of a hand puppet, there are a number of ploys (described above) that can be exercised. It's important to keep in mind, that puppets, paper ones in particular, do have a regenerative power. It is far better to have kids expressing their aggression through art at an early age, and in context of supportive group process--thus acknowledging and rooting it in a social reality) than to have it emerge later, isolated, a negative product of the dangerous fantasy. Consider this medium a 'catcher in the rye'--a way of sensing trouble way before it expresses itself after of years of being bottled up. The classroom can and must assert itself as a socializing force, must address the needs of troubled children in the course of daily experience, or we become part of the dysfunction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drrose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:29 pm
PostPost subject: Responsibility to respond to aggression

I agree that aggression against a puppet is a window into more serious feelings of aggression and should be dealt with in ways that are most helpful to the aggressive child as well as the victim of the aggression.

However, in our PC education world, too many people ACCEPT the aggressive behavior of disturbed or angry students and these students know they can get away with acting out.

I try to help them understand that their anger or hostile FEELINGS are not abnormal, but I teach and give them ways to handle these feelings - but I do NOT allow them to act them out.

Many times the teacher is AFRAID to deal with the student because she gets no support from the parents or the administrator. Although often she gets no support because she hasn't taught them any alternatives and hasn't documented evidence so others with more legal power can act upon it. In THE COMPLETE TEACHER I explain fully what to do.
Dr.Rose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: