Making PUppets with 4 - 6 yr old

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne Hale

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:10 am
PostPost subject: Making PUppets with 4 - 6 yr old

This past week, I was lucky enough to be invited into a Before and AFter School program to share Puppetools with a group of 4 - 6 yr olds.

This is a new experience for me because mostly I work with adults.

Instead of just doing a performance, I wanted to share the whole puppetools concepts with the student teacher who invited me, an dthe children. So that is what I did. A 15 min. story, with an improvised question and answer period with the children, and then we made puppets using the hinge etc.

Well, pretty much it worked. I did the Gingerbread man story. and they participated really well - shouting out responses, advising the gingerbread man, warning him, and empathizing with his end. With the help of the grandmother baker puppet, we even discussed the outcome - given that just about everyone wanted to eat him...how could the gingerbread man have avoided his final end?

And then we made the puppets. I have pre-folded about 20 hinges, using
1/4 piece of construction paper. As I handed them out, I fitted them individually on each child's hand, so they would know and learn how to put them on. With the help of the daycare teachers those children who wanted to, made puppets. About 12 children did. Their teachers were pretty impressed that the children stuck it out, and were commited enough to finish their puppets and then use them. The children also used the pupets that I had brought, carried them all around the classroom, played with them and returned them, very much intact.

We had enough time for the those who wanted to introduce their puppets to the group, although unfortunately, we didn't have more time than that.
I think the children would have liked to be able to use their own puppets more. I hope that this will happen with their teachers.
I left the puppets that I had made with the teacher, who said that she would continue to use them with the children.

It was a good introduction for me, of using the puppets directly with the children, and watching and helping them make and use their own puppets. They have such pride and interest in their work. A puppet could ask for no more!
Suzanne Hale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:53 am
PostPost subject: preschool children and puppets

HI Sonia,

I was very interested to read your reply about using puppetools with preschool children.

How is your project going? Are the children still engaged in their creations? Are they also creating a play to use their puppets, or do you help provide a structure for them?

In my experience young children create so freely, and then just as freely and quickly move on to another activity or creation. Do you have sustained play with the children and the puppets...how does it work? YOur project sounds so interesting.

I can't help but ask, have you taught / introduced puppetools to adult caregivers, nursery school teachers etc? If so, how have you found that experience?

I hope to do some workshops with adults soon, so I am just wondering what other people's experience is.

Look forward to hearing from you,
Suzanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Early Childhood Education All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: