The Future of Puppetry in Schools II

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockymodo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:31 am
PostPost subject: The Future of Puppetry in Schools II

I would be interested to know what people think about the future of puppetry in education. I can see a future for it, but then I am interested in puppetry as an aid to learning. Let me know what you think. I would also love to hear from anyone who uses puppets on a regular basis with children who suffer from attention deficit disorders.
nicoleofiesh

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:07 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi. I have used puppets over the years with children who have ADHD and learning disabilities with great success academically. As with most techniques that work with these kids who simply have a really hard time responding to traditional education, the key I find (and which is born out in research), is to be really clear about what they can do first, and then build upon that using direct and explicit instruction. The puppets help with the engagement, allow students to take risks they would normally not take, and replace me as the teacher who represents someone they typically dont want to take a risk with (the grownup). It's very rewarding and I am for the first time going to use puppets at the college level this fall.

N.
rockymodo

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:44 am
PostPost subject: Puppetry in Education

Thanks for replying Nicole, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I have been away for a break and for the last few days I have been finalising the work related to my Drama Degree. I will have the results for my final work and dissertation by next Friday. I have written a couple of chapters on the use of puppetry in the classroom, hopefully Geoff will publish them on this site. I would love to have your comments (good or bad). I don't profess to know a great deal about working with special needs children, but this is an area that I would like to explore after graduation. The small ammount of work that I have been involved in with regards to puppetry in schools has been very satisfying.

Chris
nicoleofiesh

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:09 pm
PostPost subject:

Hello Chris,

Yes I would be honored to read whatever you write! In the fall I hope to expand my research work to include puppetry and education, as well as my private practice which I have called Puppet House--- so this would be very interesting to me. Best wishes with your work and lets all stay in touch. Thanks to Jeff for creating this network for us. Kudos to you Jeff! The journey continues!

Nicole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Town Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: