Puppets in my classroom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:06 pm
PostPost subject: Puppets in my classroom

Hello Jeff,
I have a grade 3 class and school does not resume until September here in Ontario, Canada, so I really can't do a proper journal as I am alone with my puppet buddies. I'm keeping a journal on working alone with my puppets.

I've been using puppets for a number of years and I really enjoy the response of the children. My favourite puppets are animals (rat, sheep dog, dragon, and a class mascot bear). I usually turn my people puppets into social studies characters. My students make paper tube puppets, sock puppets and use some of the small hand puppets for various language arts activities. I am eager to watch them make paper talker puppets in fall.

My area of puppet neglect is math. Your site has inspired me, and I'm busy working on a variety of ways to use your paper puppets for math concepts. I am excited about some of the ideas I have for place value puppets.

As a child I hated math and I'm always looking for fun ways to teach math and build confidence in my students. I've made geometric solids into puppets in the past and had the students use them. They wrote scripts about the solids attributes, their likes and dislikes. Then the students presented their skit to the class.

I'm so happy with Puppetools. What a great idea! I'm looking forward to the coming school year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Applications All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: