workshop in hospital, modena italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandroun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:41 am
PostPost subject: workshop in hospital, modena italy

Hi there. I'm moreno pigoni i'm a professional puppeteer in italy qnad now we are organizing a workshop in the local hopital. it's a particular workshop because is direct to the children of oncology, so some of them cannot move from the bed, others are in the hospital from such a long time. The workshop have the aim to give them some 'normal' lifetime spendin their time havin fun and making puppet to play in a final show. I'm looking for soomeone who is doing a similar project. this, above all, to share impression, strategy, and experience.
Write me please
My best
Moreno Pigoni
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:20 pm
PostPost subject: Hospital Workshop

Thanks so much for your question.

First: the setting is on or near a bed. This means that the puppets will either be used in the hands of the children themselves or in the hands of 'puppeteers' near the bed--or both. The puppets can appear at the foot of the bed (instant theater) or simply visible in the hand. A simple screen (room divider) may also be erected to serve as a theater.

Second: the process. A theater is cumbersome and impractical, though possible, providing thought is given to the requirements of the setting. But by themselves the puppets are strong enough to perform without a stage. Puppets can appear from behind or at the doorway, and move closer to the bed as they ask questions, present problems, talk casually about the weather, a TV show that children may watch and be familiar with, tell a joke, engage in word-play, or invite children to play a game.

Over time, a puppet or puppets will become 'regular' mascots, visitors, friends. These characters can take on roles that help to support the needs of the children, based on background information that can be provided by the children themselves, the family, or the care-givers. The puppets can include everybody or whoever happens to walk into a situation.

The qualities that we look for in the interaction include: surprise, spontaneity, a little naughtiness that the child can enjoy and perhaps identify with (a puppet who is always making a fool of himself and doesn't care what people think is a model that children confined to a hospital bed might enjoy having as a friend).

There is a powerful lesson in Cast Away, the Tom Hanks movie in which Hanks, stranded on an island, creates a companion out of a volley ball. "Wilson," as he names him, supports Hanks through his worst moments of fear and despair. The puppets you are planning to use can be given the same power in the lives of these children.

These are just ideas to help you get started. Presumably, you may have some sophisticated puppets, but I encourage you to take the paper very seriously because children may be motivated to make and use their own. It is not what the puppet is made of or how artful it is that will count. Instead, even a simple paper finger puppet can establish a powerful relationship with a child. This fact makes the use of paper highly flexible and practical. A large puppet artwork could possibly overwhelm a child in this context.

If you are going to use paper, plan to have a box of samples of finished and unfinished models to show the children. Some of the children may feel up to making some of their own. (?)

Please read the preliminary Workshop readings on construction and communication in the online manual; there are sections about hospital applications in those readings.

Please remember to record casual notes and observations as you begin to do this work. It is a most excellent undertaking, and you are doing something that could be of great importance to many other children, care-givers, and oncologists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
karana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:23 pm
PostPost subject: Hi

Hi my name is Karen I work in a Leeds teaching hospital and use puppets with thechildren tohelp them express their anxieties and help them prepare for invasive treatments using preparationa nd idstraction techniques. Unfortunatley I have been ill for 7 months and Im just startingto get back to work - alass to find my favourite puppet given tome by a former doctor has been stolen I and I will not ever be able to replace him. He was unique. never mind.. Hope to speak to you soon keep up the good work

Best wishes Karen - alias karana Embarassed Wink
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:57 am
PostPost subject: Lost Puppet

Karana,

I was hoping to hear some good news about finding your lost puppet--a one-of-a kind treasure, I am sure. I know something like that cannot be replaced, but I like to proceed toward the future. I have always maintained that the true beauty within the puppet's persona and in its moving, lifelike ways is the relationship it has with its 'audience.' Nothing can take away all the good moments you were able to share using this particular buddy. I encourage you to try to replace it now that some time has passed. If you are in a hospital with kids, consider the fluency and ease of the paper model and begin creating simple puppets you can actually give to the kids as a gift. With these creatures at their bedside, you may have many more opportunities to share and relate to the kids you serve.

Keep up the great work you do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
karana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:06 pm
PostPost subject: Thank you

Thank you to all who have written back to me and gave me the insentive to move n and make new puppets for use in teh hospital where I work. Bless you all and very best wishes... thank you for your support Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Applications All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: