Communication From Hand to Mouth: Set Play in Motion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:29 am
PostPost subject: Communication From Hand to Mouth: Set Play in Motion

In Italy (at least for a while) the way to say 'talk to you later' was to open and close your fingers to your thumb, suggesting the opening and closing of the clamshell Motorola cell phone.

I invite you to have some fun and do the same thing with the Puppetools hinge. Of course, the hinge is not yet as recognizable as the plastic clamshell, and that's exactly my point. Bringing the hinge out of the closet and into the world accomplishes a several things. You set play in motion. You begin to let loose puppet play like a genie freed from the bottle. You bring a little gamesmanship and playfulness into the equation.

Why do this?
First, it's a vote cast for hands-on connectivity and play so lacking in our packaged and TV-marketed society. Second, you help give a little visibility to a project is contributing to the professional growth and welfare of teachers, and to the well being of children. If we don't find ways to stand for something creative and positive, creativity will always be confined to second class. 'Thank you' at the supermarket checkout, 'Hello' from the car window, 'Coffee, please' at your local eatery. Of course, if somebody asks about the hinge, it becomes a conversation piece, and you can mention the Puppetools web site. Obviously, it's always possible to move beyond the hinge to a 'real' puppet.

Share your unhinged adventures right here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
suecoop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:22 pm
PostPost subject:

I'm an instructor of an early literacy class at a community college. Recently I made a variety of paper hinge puppets--people, animals, things--and briefly introduced them to my adult students. I walked them through the steps of making a paper hinge puppet and using basic shapes for body parts (faces, mostly) and facial features. I also gave them the worksheet to use on developing a puppet's character. Within about 20 minutes we had a HUGE variety of wonderfully individual puppets. They LOVED how easy and fast the process was. I'm always trying to show students how they can create for their own classrooms at very little or no expense. When we return from break, the students will be doing presentations--I'm interested to see their creations!
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:09 am
PostPost subject:

Sue,

I'm looking forward to hearing about the student presentations, specifically the fomat you will use for 'presenting'. For more ideas take a look at the 'puppet scenarios' forum.

Also, you seemed to get a nice degree of individualized work in the results. Just curious, when you showed your own puppets to the students before they went to work on their own, were your models all completed or did you show them in various degrees of completion? The latter seems to allow more room in learners' heads for creating something of their own.

For those concerned about the amount of time it takes to make your own puppets, take note: "20 minutes."

Cheers,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Commentary All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: