Neuropedagogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:53 am
PostPost subject: Neuropedagogy

Here's a short article published in Canada Post.com about an emerging strand of research on Play coming out of the Educational Neuroscience Laboratory in the Faculty of Education at British Columbia's Simon Fraser University.

In her paper on neuropedagogy, Kathryn Patten raises the possibilities for improved teaching practices stemming from Play. Ms. Patten is quoted, "While there is no grand scheme of brain-based education that can miraculously transform learning and teaching, researchers should take care not to alienate brain-based enthusiasts," she said. "Educational neuroscience is informed by both neuroscience and neuropsychology. It is about the mind-brain-body of teachers and learners: their emotions, thoughts, brain-body functions and resultant behaviour."

I will be attempting to make contact with Ms. Patten to acquaint her with the work in play emerging down here at the grass roots at Puppetools where, among other things, I believe she will find at least one example of a 'grand scheme' involving play and learning.

The grand scheme I refer to is the field theory I have advanced which identifies, in puppet play, a constellation of brain pathways that engage learning and communication behaviors.

I hope we will be hearing from Ms. Patten before too long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Suzanne Hale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:22 pm
PostPost subject: mind-brain-body and the joy of improvisation

I read the article Jeff, and I really liked the "mind-brain-body" term.

Somehow I imagine the learning community or classroom to be like an egg lying on a glass plate, and the egg white - the gelantinous soupy, translucent part - I see this as the mind- brain-body of the classroom - the part that holds it all together and nourishes everything else.

I imagine that is the place where the mind-brain-body of teacher interacts with the mind-brain-body of students -- and well, I think this is where Puppetools builds a home...a third 'play space'... that enriches and widens the scope of learning.

I love how through improvised play Puppetools challenges and enlarges the traditional roles assumed by teachers and students; how teachers become students and students - teachers - as each discovers the new points of view, that come up - if only for a moment during play.

And...that once the improv. is over... participants can revisit the little moments of spirit and folly and these flashes, can lead to new directions of learning and collaboration in the classroom.

I will try to send some examples of what I mean... I am doing a workshop tonight with adults about school readiness, and I will bring and use a puppetools hinge puppet and see what happens.

Although I am still learning and exploring how to use Puppetools - I am thrilled to see how it uses play to broaden the scope of learning. I really believe that it stretches and strengthens the mind-brain- body of classroom!

How great! thank you for sharing it!
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:55 am
PostPost subject: The Mind-Brain Universe

Suzanne,

You have captured the essence of the spontaneous element at work in communicative play. The moments you describe may also be likened to the electrical impulses that jump from nerve ending to nerve ending, creating a powerful onrush of energy and emotion that the brain requires and thrives on. You have helped to translate what researchers are saying and what teachers can be doing to facilitate higher levels of attention, motivation, and engagement, not just in kids but in teachers as well. Idea

Thanks so much for spending some time thinking about the implications of play and sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Suzanne Hale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:30 pm
PostPost subject: mind-brain-body?

HI again,

I was wondering if you know any more about the term, 'mind brain body'?
I realize that it comes out of brain-based learning, but I would like to know more.

And I think it is such a great descriptor - especially for those interested in puppetry, mime, physcial improvisation etc, ....and I was wondering what is the official designation or meaning?

As per my last post, somehow I sense it as a physical - movement related area or aptitude, or way of comunicating/sharing knowledge...
(no doubt because it has the word body in it - ) but I can't help wondering what this term was coined - to refer to. Do you have any ideas?

(It would be fun to play dictionary with this word - that is make up a meaning...hmmmmmm....well actually I guess that I have pretty much said what I think it means...look forward to hearing other possibilities.)

Thanks as always,
Suzanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> The Brain and Play All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: