1st Try!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mariella

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:59 am
PostPost subject: 1st Try!

Well, actually I had created a couple of puppets earlier for the 'Old Lady' story, but with other materials. The book reading was 'Busy fingers', a very nicely illustrated book available in English and Spanish. I created the cutest little hand puppet, cut the opening in the smilie mouth, attached the hinge in the back and it was ready to go. Kids loved it of course. Then for small group instruction the kids traced their own hands and cut the opening for the mouth. There wasn't enough time to complete their projects but it was a start.
I am so loving it! the only issue I had is that I'm not used to use 'puppet talk', like I would change the voice for the puppet and forget to change it back when I was talking directly, and viceversa. Also, from the videos on this site, the puppet holders are real funny and relaxed and seem ready with the right thing to say like they had a script. I really wasn't sure of what to have the puppet say besides asking the children to retell what happened in the story book. I couldn't think of anything funny except for the 'tickle' part in the list of 'what busy fingers do'. Kids loved the puppet tickle. Looking forward to dore more fun puppets soon.
papertalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:12 pm
PostPost subject: stuck for what to say?

1. The kids will ask questions
2. 1st try: you see their response; next time plan some questions; plan to take it in a simple direction
3. you are establishing a playing field. with your own puppet sidekick, plan to respond to problems or set an activity in motion using a friend.
4. the teachers in the videos had the benefit of me interviewing them or working with their peers in a workshop. They are modeling for you. What they are teaching is relax, improvise, play and you will fall into the flow.
5. You are to be commended for not leaning on a script. You are following the principle. It's only the beginning. Idea

Have fun!

PS: go into the section on Communication and use the Character Sketch or My Puppet to give your puppet a semblance of personality and characteristics. This will help you find your puppet's 'center'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Early Childhood Education All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: